It was quite a slow game, with constant references to the rulebook to figure out how to do one thing or another, but in the end it was a minor victory to me (I won by 347 victory points -- if I had won by less than 300, it would have been a draw).
Much mirth and merriment had by me and James (and looks of bemusement from Juliette and James' partner Sarah), especially when:
- My piddly little unit of 10 skeleton archers wiped the floor with James' Rat Ogres, which he'd sent down my left flank in an attempt to chew through the archers and get behind my army. Admittedly, the archers had poisoned weapons....
- James forgot to ring his Screaming Bell in rounds 1 and 2.
- Ringing said Screaming Bell in round 5 lead to James losing his Grey Seer general, the Bell, and two clanrats for good measure.
- My Ushabti smashed through his slave unit, and overran into a clanrat unit.
- James' warp lightning cannon doing little more than painting green light on various units.
- Heavy cavalry skeletal steeds did more damage than their riders.
- Chariot-pulling skeletal steeds did more damage than the chariot crew.
- James forgot to deploy his plague censer bearers.
- My chariots got slaughtered by James' giant rats.
- Both my heavy cavalry and James' stormvermin got caught up in the terrain, and didn't contribute a lot to the battle.
Lots to think about for the next battle. My chariots have never been particularly effective, so I might replace them with a bone giant....